About the role
Do you want to grow your career and be part of a team solving critical challenges that affect the world? You’ll be working within the Asset Lifecycle Team with responsibilities for a transmission technology across the asset lifecycle.
If you desire to be an integral part of a dynamic, highly skilled team; working at the heart of Electricity Transmission’s engineering function, making big technical decisions about the future of the transmission system, and being part of shaping the next the performance of the company over the next decade and beyond, then the Graduate Asset Lifecycle Engineer role is great place to start.
You will be looking at asset policy, technical specifications and type registration, asset health and technical strategy as well as helping to develop technical solutions to asset replacement and generator connection challenges.
What you'll do
Responsible for all aspects of the asset lifecycle for a particular electricity transmission technology including:
- Providing technical knowledge in one or more technical area(s)
- Creating and amending policies, technical specifications, work specifications, internal standards and technical guidance within your area of expertise.
- Identifying and supporting innovation opportunities
- Supporting the asset health process leading to the creation of the driver for non-load related investment
- Supporting the update of FMEA and monitised risk models relating to your area of expertise
- Communicating standard issues associated within area of expertise in a clear and concise manner, both verbally and in writing
You must have, or be predicted to gain, a Grade C or above/4-9 GCSE in English Language.
In addition to the GCSE requirements, you must also have one of the following sets of qualifications:
- 2 A-Levels - 1 must be in either Maths or Physics (Grade C or above)
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- BTEC National Diploma Level 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- ONC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- HNC/HND in Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering (Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- Degree in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering
To apply for this role, you must hold a valid full UK car driving licence.
What's in it for you
Focussed and structured technical business and regulatory training and working towards external accreditation i.e. IET / CEng.
Working across business units especially ET Ops, Investment Management, Design Assurance and other areas within Engineering and Asset Management.
Opportunity for working with suppliers and designers
What you'll get
You will receive a starting salary of £24,017 and you will work towards a level 4 qualification or a foundation degree depending on the programme. You will also have access to a number of additional benefits such as 25 days’ holiday, full board accommodation whilst away at our training academy and all travel expenses paid for when you’re not at your base location.
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. We welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds. National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.
You must be willing to relocate your primary residence to within a 45-minute journey time to the location of the role.
The closing date for this vacancy is Sunday 16th February, however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid's recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.