Electricity North West own, operate and maintain the regions electricity distribution network connecting more than 2.4 million properties to the National Grid. It’s a huge responsibility that calls for constant innovation and round the clock planning.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Civil & Structural Design Engineer to join our Grid & Primary Design team based in Salford.
You will carry out civil and structural engineering for all civil designs of 33kv and 132kv primary projects, to ensure cost effective design solutions are produced from scope and solution, tender and construction design for the project programmes, to final handover ensuring the work is within agreed timescales and within budget.
Assisting the Civil Design team leaders in defining scope, budget and programme for projects as well as manage and coordinate the civils aspect of the design.
Prepare scope of works, drawings, specifications and designers risk assessments, in respect of the works as are necessary to enable commercial or procurement to prepare tender packages. Advise on pre - design investigations and surveys to enable minimum cost solutions to be determined.
As the Design Engineer you will work closely with Project Mangers, Construction and Commissioning Engineers, Design Manager, Civil Design team to ensure that all 132/33kV projects achieve the programme objectives of time, cost and quality, at each key milestone stage, to meet requirements of the agreed programme.
As the successful candidate you will:
- Hold a minimum of an HNC in Civil Engineering (essential);
- Be degree qualified leading to chartered status (desirable);
- Have a good knowledge of civil designs for 132kV, 33kV and 11 / 6.6kV systems and substations including switchgear, transformers, overhead and underground circuits;
- Have experience in the design of civil and structural building projects ideally within the electrical engineering / utility industry;
- Establish and maintain a flexible and adaptable approach to change, being able to respond rapidly and develop creative solutions;
- Have experience of CDM regulations relating to utility projects;
- Be proficient in IT especially Autocad and MS Office;
- Be familiar with Sub Station Access;
- Carry out civil design calculations;
- Knowledge of Planning Permission and Permitted Development regulations;
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Be an effective team player with the ability to motivate a team;
- Be a creative thinker with the ability to pre-empt project issues and adapt to change quickly;
- Hold a full UK Driving licence.
Up to £54,000 per annum dependent on skills + experience
In addition to your salary we will offer you company car or cash allowance, bonus earning potential of up to 10% of your base salary, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, private healthcare, membership of a defined contribution pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 14% and a wide range of offers and flexible benefits.
As a business we are committed to continually developing our people, if you are an internal candidate have you thought about a lateral move? This role is a fantastic opportunity to utilise your current skill set and will support you in building your knowledge and experience of the business, as well as supporting your future career progression.
This appointment will be on Electricity North West terms of employment.
The closing date for submission of an application is Tuesday 22 October 2019; however we reserve the right to close this vacancy early.
As part of the Recruitment & Selection process Electricity North West carries out pre-employment screening to aid in the assessment and overall suitability of an individual to perform a role. If offered a conditional offer of employment you will be required to provide us with additional information to allow us to perform checks in line with our policy.