There are many challenges ahead for the energy industry, so a vital part of our job at Electricity North West is planning for tomorrow. We're always developing new ways to adapt to the changing world, this includes ensuring that our workforce is equipped with the skills required to maintain and evolve our networks into the future.
We have an opportunity for a highly organised individual to join us as a Delivery Engineer in Walkden. Working as part of the South Operations engineering team, you will be responsible for faults, maintenance, inspections and construction as required and in accordance with safe working practices, specification, budget and customer targets.
This role is based in the South Lancashire area and the work will be within the South Lancashire area as a whole as a priority, however you will be expected to adopt a flexible approach to support all areas in all South Operations and activities when required, including travel to other areas.
As the successful candidate you will be expected to take a proactive approach in using new technology and equipment including communication equipment, with active involvement in trials and the development of new fault location techniques which will contribute to a reduction in fault volumes, customer interruptions (CIs) and customer minutes lost (CMLs).
It will also mean that any process developed by the company to improve HV and LV response, will be embraced and you will provide engineering expertise and assistance including technical help, fault and staff prioritisation and the location of the closest staff to a fault, if necessary using Tracker, so that response time is prioritised.
In essence the role is that of a professional engineer who is willing to show the company in a positive light both internally and externally and also someone who strives to deliver customer satisfaction through their actions. It is important that the successful applicant is an adaptive team player willing to embrace changes that will take the company forwards as the expectations of both domestic and industrial customers evolve.
Principal accountabilities of your role include:
- Providing exceptional customer service, being sensitive to the needs of diverse customer groups, including vulnerable customers and ensuring safe and efficient fault repairs which include the day-to-day management of site relationships and issues, ensuring our customers’ expectations are met, including dealing with potential customer complaints in a timely and satisfactory manner;
- Being responsible for the successful delivery of a varied portfolio of work on the HV/LV distribution network to time, cost and quality targets, ensuring that all works are carried out in accordance with the relevant Health and Safety legislation and company codes of practice;
- Carrying out HV switching on both underground and overhead distribution networks and be experienced in all aspects of the LV network, including fusing, linking and deployment of transient fault management equipment. This will include first-fit of automated equipment on LV faults to reduce CIs and CMLs;
- Issuing Safety Documentation including Permits to Work, Sanctions for Test and Limitations of Access and any other that may be relevant in a situation;
- Managing and executing HV/LV capital projects which may include switchgear and transformer changes, cable overlays and overhead line refurbishment;
- HV plant maintenance and protection;
- HV fault restoration and subsequent repairs on Voyager, and the management of both LV front-screen and follow-on faults and also voltage complaints, each within unit cost and time constraints;
- Directing and managing the activities of industrial teams and contractors on site, providing operational support where required. This may involve checking that all ENWL staff on site have the correct skills, competencies and authorisations to carry out the work required of them, including the correct use of personal protective equipment (PPE);
- Working in line with the company Planned Supply Interruption process (PSI);
- Mentoring and developing fellow Engineers, Technicians, Fault Technicians and Craft staff with regard to operational activities;
- Ensuring contractor payments for ENWL third parties are justified, accurate and are dealt with in a timely manner;
- Undertaking standby duties on a rota basis;
- Being compliant with company initiatives, examples of which may include using mobile scripts and the submission of near-misses on a weekly basis.
We are willing to accept applications from candidates who may be appointed to the role on a development basis.
As the successful candidate you will:
- Hold a minimum of a HNC level qualification in Electrical Engineering (essential);
- Be both LV and HV authorised (essential) preferably to the minimum level of SAP with Field Control at 11kV or be willing and able to undertake training to achieve this authorisation in an agreed time period. In relation to LV Fault Management you will have a good track record of effective LV fault location and repair to policy (desirable);
- Demonstrate the ability to work by yourself with a minimal amount of supervision and be responsible for managing fault and maintenance targets and costs and producing reports as necessary (essential);
- Have proven industry experience with a high level of engineering knowledge including a working knowledge of the relevant Codes of Practice and the Industry as a whole (essential);
- Be familiar with electrical engineering design and practices with a sound knowledge of the legal, technical, safety and CDM regulations that affect the electricity business;
- Have proven experience in influencing and negotiating with contractors, internal and external customers and also domestic customers;
- Demonstrate that you are willing to temporarily stand in for a manager when they are absent for short periods or otherwise engaged;
- Possess excellent customer service skills together with excellent verbal, written communication and inter-personal skills (essential);
- Be proficient in MS Office with good analytical skills and have the ability to produce and interpret spreadsheets and to produce reports on programme, costs and targets for both the Delivery Manager and business as required (desirable);
- Hold a current, valid UK driving license (essential).
You will also demonstrate the following behavioural competencies:
- Results Focus
- Concern for Excellence
- Customer Understanding
- Analytical Thinking
Up to £49,860.84 dependent on skills + experience
As a business we are committed to continually developing our people, if you are an internal candidate have you thought about a lateral move? This role is a fantastic opportunity to utilise your current skill set and will support you in building your knowledge and experience of the business, as well as supporting your future career progression.
Appointment to this role will be on Electricity North West JNC terms and conditions of employment.
The closing date for submission of an application is 24 September 2019 however we reserve the right to close the vacancy early.
As part of the Recruitment & Selection process Electricity North West carries out pre-employment screening to aid in the assessment and overall suitability of an individual to perform a role. If offered a conditional offer of employment you will be required to provide us with additional information to allow us to perform checks in line with our policy.
We don’t accept speculative CVs from agencies. Any received we will assert ownership of the candidate and no fee will be payable.