This is an exciting opportunity to join the Hydraulic Engineering team within Engineering providing a critical service across the business.
The role will report to the Senior Engineer and you will be responsible for delivery of Hydraulic Engineering services within the North Area Hub to support the delivery of: the Capital Programme, Operational Engineering, Special Projects and Studies and Investigations.
You will be responsible for the delivery of a range of projects throughout United Utilities including data gathering and analysis, design, preparation of documents, drawings and specifications, review of proposals by others and providing advice and responses to other team members.
You will work closely with other technical disciplines and internal clients to build and maintain strong relationships and have a responsibility of raising the external profile of UU technical leadership in the water industry and other sectors.
Please note the role will be based in the Salmesbury area.
- Deputising for a Senior Engineer.
- Organising and managing commission orders e.g. to the ESP or external modelling contracts.
- Developing & improving UU's Engineering standards and procedures.
- Undertaking all activities in accordance with Health and Safety Legislation and Accepted Practice.
- Working closely and maintaining strong relationships with Engineering and Programme Managers within their delivery area and with all internal clients and partners.
- Having responsibility for technical decision-making.
- Responsible for the technical delivery of projects within budget and programme to all internal clients.
- Ensuring that all engineering outputs provided are in accordance with an appropriate Quality Management System e.g. checked and verified calculations, drawings, specifications, and United Utilities' Company Standards.
- Providing technical consistency.
- Owner of standards relating to technical software and hardware.
- Support for the improvement of the external profile of UU
- To maintain and develop their own engineering expertise.
Knowledge and Skills
- Professional engineer with some postgraduate or equivalent experience, and capable of achieving chartered or equivalent status.
- Technically competent.
- An ability to influence technical solutions across the whole of UU.
- Experience in being part of multi-disciplinary teams in highly technical and commercial environments.
- Experience in delivering capital and strategic projects and providing operational support in the water industry or other sectors.
- Experience gained by delivering projects across the complete project lifecycle from Wholesale Risk and Asset Planning, Feasibility, Contract Definition and Award, through to Implementation (detailed design), Technical Assurance, Commissioning and Handover.
- Understanding of UK and International technical policy, strategy, standards etc.
- Technical credibility and experience in presenting technical papers.
- Knowledge of water, wastewater and sludge treatment processes and hydraulic design, together with knowledge and experience of company standards, procedures and technologies. A working knowledge is required of the interfaces with other disciplines.
- Experience in data gathering and analysis.
- Ability to communicate, to both technical and non-technical audiences, concepts and ideas regarding the application of particular designs.
- Knowledge of the operational environments, operator skill levels and operating cost implications of the proposed Engineering solutions.
- The post holder will demonstrate a personal commitment and encourage commitment in others to safety in all aspects of work.
- The post holder will be required to work on their own and as a member of a team.
- The ability to write clear, concise, accurate reports & specifications with measurable outputs is important.
Knowledge and experience of water and wastewater hydraulic engineering analysis and design for infra and non-infrastructure related projects.
- Awareness of Impounding Reservoirs including hydrology, flood risk and probable maximum flood assessments
Awareness of river engineering, associated hydraulic modelling and flood estimation techniques.
The role will is for the North Hub, Samlesbury location. Blackburn WwTW is an indicative site only We need fantastic people to enable us to deliver a great public service. We are committed to reaching and recruiting from every community and then supporting employees to achieve their full potential ensuring they feel valued and included, regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation or social background. If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service.