About the role
Do you want to grow your career and be part of a team solving critical challenges? Do you want the opportunity to learn from some of the world’s leading experts in electricity transmission? Do you have the drive and motivation to think critically, and develop into a world class engineer? If so, the role of Transmission Engineer within Engineering Services is for you.
Whether providing technical support to Electricity Transmission Operations during maintenance activities, investigating equipment failures, or determining risk mitigation strategies; Transmission Engineers understand the fundamentals of the electricity transmission system, apply them to a wide range of complex equipment types, and have the desire to solve problems.
What you'll do
As a Higher Apprentice Transmission Engineer you will be responsible for;
- Providing guidance to ET Operations for maintenance activities on specific equipment types, by understanding Technical Guidance Notes, using you own knowledge and experience, and applying them to specific issues
- Supporting asset investigations by gathering witness statements and historic maintenance records, attending site to review the failed assets, uncovering root causes of the failure, and identifying corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence
- Issuing and reviewing Operational Engineering and Safety Bulletins to advise ET Operations of asset issues, identify safety mitigations to help keep our colleagues safe, and determine economic engineering solutions to remedy the issues.
- Provide technical knowledge and experience input to developing lifetime management strategies for a range of asset types.
You must have, or be predicted to gain, a Grade C or above/4-9 GCSE in English Language.
In addition to the GCSE requirements, you must also have one of the following sets of qualifications:
- 2 A-Levels - 1 must be in either Maths or Physics (Grade C or above)
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- BTEC National Diploma Level 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- ONC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Merit or Distinction with the Maths modules being Merit or Distinction)
- HNC/HND in Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering (Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- Degree in Maths, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering
To apply for this role, you must hold a valid full UK car driving licence.
This role requires full colour vision and working at heights
What you'll get
You will receive a starting salary of £24,017 and you will work towards a level 4 qualification or a foundation degree depending on the programme. You will also have access to a number of additional benefits such as 25 days’ holiday, full board accommodation whilst away at our training academy and all travel expenses paid for when you’re not at your base location.
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. We welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds. National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.
You must be willing to relocate your primary residence to within a 45-minute journey time to the location of the role.
The closing date for this vacancy is Sunday 16th February, however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid's recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.