About the role
Joining the Global Procurement team, you’ll be working closely with Buyers and internal stakeholders to tailor procurement strategies to specific business requirements. You will be involved in the process of understanding internal business needs and the supply market, and using this intelligence to procure good and services that allow National Grid to that keep the lights on and the gas flowing. As part of this team you will ensure that value is created in procuring effective and efficient goods and services via our supply chain. You will ensure that National Grid values are embedded in every aspect of procurement, from delivering Financial outcomes to Health & Safety requirements.
What you'll do
As a Higher Apprentice in our Global Procurement team you will have the opportunity to be involved in the following:
- The development and implementation of procurement strategies which create value through the award and delivery of supplier contracts.
- Working with Procurement Buyers to build strong collaborative relationships with our internal stakeholders, and overseeing and co-coordinating tender events where required.
- Commercial evaluation, negotiation and the formation of contractual terms, including Legal interfacing.
- Strategic sourcing, supply chain management and supplier development.
- Working with our contract management teams to monitor contract performance and identify areas of continuous improvement.
By the end of your apprenticeship you will have gained an understanding of the context of procurement and supply, understand pre-procurement and early market engagement, understand sourcing and contract agreements, supplier management and category management along with how pre-contract and post contract award is managed in National Grid.
You must have, or be predicted to gain, a Grade C or above/4-9 GCSE in English LanguageMaths.
In addition to the GCSE requirements, you must also have one of the following sets of qualifications:
- 2 A-Levels / A2: Grades A* - C (1 must be in either Business Studies, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Law, or Computing)
- BTEC National Certificate Level 3 in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Computing, Applied Law, or Business Skills at Grade Merit or Distinction
- BTEC Diploma Level 3 in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Computing, Applied Law, or Business Skills at Grade Merit or Distinction)
- HNC / HND in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Computing, Law Studies, or Business at Grade Pass, Merit or Distinction)
- Degree in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computing, Maths, Law, or Business related discipline
To apply for this role, you must hold a valid full UK car driving licence, or be willing to learn to drive and agree to secure a valid full UK car driving licence at least 3 months before the programmes start date.
What’s in it for you
In Global Procurement, we are committed to the personal development of our employees. Joining us, you’ll be supported as you develop a wide range of leadership, business and technical skills through structured training and on the-job experience. And you’ll work closely with your line manager and business coordinator to establish and navigate through a Personal Development Plan that is tailored to your needs. If you’re keen to earn while you learn, our Global Procurement Higher Apprenticeship Programme is a great opportunity to gain a level 4 Diploma in Procurement & Supply with the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS). Or, if you already have a degree, it’s an ideal way to specialise in a vital, demanding and growing area. Thanks to the mix of formal study and practical experience at our offices in Warwick, you’ll develop well-rounded skills. Upon successful completion of the programme, you can look forward to a permanent job within the Global Procurement team.
What you'll get
You will receive a starting salary of £24,017 and you will work towards a level 4 qualification or a foundation degree depending on the programme. You will also have access to a number of additional benefits such as 25 days’ holiday, full board accommodation whilst away at our training academy and all travel expenses paid for when you’re not at your base location.
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. We welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds. National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.
You must be willing to relocate your primary residence to within a 45-minute journey time to the location of the role.
The closing date for this vacancy is Sunday 16th February, however we encourage candidates to submit their application as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid's recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
If you consider yourself to have a disability, long term health condition and/or require any reasonable adjustments to complete any part of our application process, please make us aware as soon as possible so we can make the relevant adjustments.
Please also contact us if you require this, or any other document in an alternative format such as large print, braille, audio or easy read.