JOB TITLE: Quality and Assurance Manager
REPORTS TO: Business Operations Manager (GRCQ)
FUNCTION: Client Delivery & Business Operations, Head Office
LOCATION: London SE1.
SALARY: Circa £55k (depending on skills and experience)
CLOSING DATE: 19th November 2019
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date.
We also provide the following additional benefits
- Annual leave 25 days
- Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
- Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
- Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Occupational Health support
- Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
- Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
- Discounted access to sports and social clubs
- Employee Assistance Programme.
The Quality & Assurance Manager will be responsible for championing a robust, effective and innovative Quality control and assurance system encompassing the UKPN Services quality management system, project quality compliance, industry accreditations, management of external audits/action resolution and tender quality responses.
Payroll costs: c. £300,000
Department budget: c. £100,000
Staff: 4, however likely to be flexed up as projects dictate
- To ensure that the business complies with its commitment to operate an effective Business Management System which is compliant with ISO9001 2015, 14001 & 45001 respectively. Manage a distributed team who are based in London and nationally on projects, the number of which will flex dependant on projects/requirements.
- Review existing policies and procedures with the aim of making improvements.
- Manage the internal and external UKPN Services risk based audit programme.
- Act as the company representative during internal and 3rd party verifying body audits and ensure any findings are closed out.
- Develop and promote a culture of doing things right first time so as to reduce cost through not having to redo work.
- Lead on quality training and awareness.
- Support achievement of new industry accreditations and ensure existing are retained e.g. RISQS, NERS,CHAS, FORS and carry out the day to day management of approval requirements for individuals under these e.g. Sentinel rail training.
- Management of key performance indicators to measure the maturity of the business’ quality management system e.g. cost of poor quality reworking.
- Champion and ensure maintenance of our ISO44001 Business Collaboration accreditation.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
UK Power Networks are owned by the Cheung Kong Group who are one of the largest investors in the UK and employ 300,000 people over 52 countries. UK Power Networks owns and maintains electricity cables and lines across London, the South East and East of England and employs 6000 people.UK Power Networks Services (UKPN Services) are the unregulated commercial arm of this business.
UKPN Services are a national provider of power distribution and distributed energy solutions which optimise customers’ existing electrical assets and integrate new technologies to deliver improved performance and commercial benefits. Working in the transport, defence, manufacturing and industrial, public and nuclear sectors the business is growing and needs talented individuals to be part of this exciting change.
The Governance, Risk, Compliance and Quality (GRCQ) function within UKPN Services is headed by the Business Operations Manager (GRCQ) who reports to the Head of Client Delivery & Business Operations who in turn reports to the Director of UKPN Services.
The GRCQ function as a whole is responsible for overseeing project governance, business/project/tender risk, negotiation of upstream contract terms and conditions, internal control and recently quality has been brought back within the department. This has created a requirement for a professional Quality & Assurance Manager to head the quality function and manage an expanding team of office and project based quality advisors.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPEREINCE:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including an ability to communicate internally and externally at all levels
- Extensive planning and project management skills able to exhibit persistence to influence others and promote a positive culture.
- An ability to lead and motivate a team including through periods of change.
- Well organised, possessing a high level of self-discipline with commitment, drive and business empathy with clients.
- Advanced IT skills
- Good working knowledge of Health, Safety and Environment management
- Educated to degree level in a relevant discipline or able to offer a lessor qualification with a demonstrable track record and experience.
- Chartered Member of the Chartered Quality Institute
- Having excellent knowledge and training in ISO9001:2015 ‘Quality Management Systems’
- A qualified Lead Auditor with a proven record of accomplishment in ISO9001:2015.
- An in depth knowledge of 14001 ‘Environmental Management’, ISO45001 and ISO55001:2014 ‘Asset Management – Management systems’.
- A good all round knowledge of Health, Safety and Environment preferably with a NEBOSH General qualification
- It would be an advantage to have had training and an understanding of ISO44001 ‘Collaborative Business Relationships’
- Full UK driving licence (and use of a car as travelling will be required).
- Extensive experience in a senior Quality Management position with a credible track record of managing a team of quality professionals.
- Proven background in developing ISO9001:2015 compliant Quality management systems.
- Ideally have experience of electrical infrastructure construction or as a minimum in a large construction project environment.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.