We have an opportunity for a Quantity Surveyor to join our team in Network Maintenance.
You will support the successful delivery of UU's business needs by providing a professional quantity surveying service, encompassing one or more of the core areas of procurement and contract management. The service is to be undertaken in accordance with high professional standards and business principles in compliance with regulatory and company procedures and policies.
Main responsibilities of a Quantity Surveyor will be to deliver or support the commercial function by delivering projects within Network Maintenance ensuring optimum value for money for UU. You will engage with operational and senior stakeholders to support the business strategy and policy. You will ensure contractual compliance and proactively manage contractor performance throughout the contract period.
- Managing the challenging and conflicting business priorities of various stakeholders.
- Provide support and timely escalation to the Senior Quantity Surveyor, Managing Quantity Surveyor, and/or Commercial Manager.
- Ensure compliance of the business strategy and policy.
- Proactively manage and mitigate commercial and business risk.
- Provide commercial expertise and guidance.
- Ensure collaborative working across the commercial directorate.
- Work collaboratively with the regulatory procurement team, to ensure delivery of compliant procurement.
- Produce and maintain quality commercial / contractual data. Provide the commercial function in IAP and concept phases.
- Provide the commercial function to support the Managing QS and Commercial Manager.
- Accountable for contract administration throughout the project lifecycle.
- Establish and maintain appropriate contract and supplier relationship management.
- Commercially manage a portfolio of Works contracts to ensure that they are delivered in accordance with the contracted terms and conditions and that all issues are mitigated and managed to protect UU commercial interests.
- Manage post-contract commercial processes and procedures to deliver key commercial requirements on projects. These will include Early Warning and Change Control Management; Cost Forecasting; Payments; Cost Auditing and agreement of Final Accounts.
- Negotiate and resolve contract claims/disputes and support senior managers in the resolution of escalated issues.
- Attend progress meetings and site visits.
- Maintain contract data with a high degree of accuracy to support robust Management Information and Reporting.
- Actively support the contract assurance model to ensure improvements to service provision and cost to serve.
- This list is not exhaustive and may be extended to include any other ad-hoc duties and responsibilities required from time to time.
Knowledge and Skills
- Quantity Surveying Degree; alternatively sufficient relevant experience to support the requirements of the RICS Professional Experience Route.
- Relevant experience.
- Knowledge of key quantity surveying processes, tools and methodologies used across the whole project life-cycle
- Knowledge and experience in the use of standard forms of construction contract (NEC suite of contracts) but also comfortable with administering non-standard bespoke Framework Agreements
- Strong commercial negotiation and resolution skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Achieved or working towards Chartered Membership of a relevant institution (e.g. Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Chartered Institution of Civil Engineers or equivalent).
We need fantastic people to enable us to deliver a great service to the public. We are committed to reaching and recruiting from every community and then supporting employees to achieve their full potential ensuring they feel valued and included, regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, sexual orientation or social background.
- Will be working as part of a dynamic team based at Lingley Mere Business Park.
If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. Any offer of employment with United Utilities will be subject to a satisfactory checking report from the Disclosure Scotland / the Disclosure and Barring Service.