Base Location: Inverness
Salary: up to £58,000 depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance + annual bonus
Working Pattern: Permanent | Flexible working patterns available |37 hours per week
About the Department
Transmission operates under licence as Scottish Hydro Electric (SHE) Transmission plc, responsible for the transmission of electricity in the north of Scotland. We own and maintain the 132kV, 275kV and 400kV electricity transmission network in our licence area. Our network comprises of underground cables, overhead wooden poles, steel towers and electricity substations, and it extends over a quarter of the UK land mass across some of its most challenging terrain.
What is the Role?
As Senior HVDC Project Engineer, you'll provide HVDC and AC Substation technical support on high profile projects and technically complex issues. You will define the basis of project design and scope as well as validating and verifying the engineering design, construction, installation and commissioning, within a HVDC discipline for a wide portfolio of projects.
As a Senior Engineer you will supervise and direct Engineers within their specialist remit, using your technical expertise, you'll drive decision making and support other HVDC and AC projects through peer review of key issues.
You'll promote and manage safety within your assigned projects through the implementation of CDM procedures and practices, ensuring the project engineering is compliant with company, HSE and industry regulations. You will have responsibility for engineering delivery on your assigned projects of a typical capital value of £50m - £700m. Working closely with Engineering Managers, Lead Project Managers and Project Managers youll ensure that Engineering and Quality risks are identified and mitigated with projects being successfully delivered.
Key responsibilities include;
- Providing HVDC and AC Substation technical support on high profile projects or technically complex issues
- Reviewing and/or approving the technical requirements of HVDC system design and primary plant and equipment and liaise with P&C to ensure secondary design is well coordinated.
- Peer reviewing or approving scope of works and detailed specifications for works from gate 2/3 onwards.
- Reviewing HVDC contractors detailed designs and coordination the designs for other disciplines
- Attendance at HAZID, HAZOP and HAZCON supporting the design process
- Attending design review meetings, Dynamic Performance Tests (DPT), Functional System Tests (FST), Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT), Site Acceptance Tests (SAT) and commissioning tests.
- Supporting site installation teams to ensure quality of installation and WI requirements being met.
- Support ongoing management of Framework Agreements and performance management with Substation consultants and contractors.
- Promote best practice within Electrical discipline through suggested improvements in specifications, technology options and management of technical risks.
What do I need?
To be successful in applying for this role, you will have experience working on the Transmission Network and an extensive knowledge of HVDC covering System Design, Control and Protection, Main Plant Apparatus, Auxiliary and LV Systems. You'll hold a degree in a relevant engineering subject and preferably have charted status or be working towards this.
You will have an in-depth knowledge of the legal and regulatory obligations for Transmission and ensure these are met to the highest standard. An excellent technical understanding of relevant legislation and the implications of this for Transmission network management for both Assets and Projects, including CDM & ESQCR is essential.
Effective communication skills are essential, and you should be able to communicate highly complex technical issues in a clear and concise manner to facilitate decision making by senior management. You should be confident working alongside key stakeholders at all levels both internally and externally with an appetite for building strong, lasting relationships.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Why not watch our short employee benefits video to see what else is on offer?
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch; sse.
Please be aware if you are successful, you'll be required to complete our pre-employment screening process before joining SSE.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it.'
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.